Skip to main content

Passive ... 2

VERBAL AND NOMINAL SENTENCE

Let me go to the point! Here, you should understand deeply the differences between Nominal and Verbal sentence. To read it more deeply, just Click here.

Passive voice is only used in verbal sentence not in nominal sentence. It is impossible for us to change this following sentence (Nominal) into passive.

She is lazy. (This nominal sentence can not be changed into passive.)

I can say that all nominal sentences can not be passivated (/passivated/, here, means "Can not be changed into passive voice --- (laughing ..it's my own term. you can use or not at all).)

TRANSITIVE AND INTRANSITIVE VERB

Transitive verb is a verb which can be added an object (Proper object or objective pronoun).

For examples:

I need your help (/your help/ is a proper object)
Rina called me last night (/me/ is an objective pronoun)


When the verb has an object, automatically, the sentence can be changed into passive voice or "passivated".

Intransitive Verb is a verb which can not be added an object either proper object or objective pronoun.

For examples:

I go.
She swims.
I stay at home.
She laughs at me.


There are many kinds of intransitive verb found in dictionary, like : stay, swim, go, live, dance, sleep, cry, lie down, etc. To know what types of verb being used in a sentence, you can look up your dictionary or read the context carefully.

Take notice that, in sentence like /she laughs at me/, /at me/ is not an object or objective pronoun. It is a complement. Compare these two sentences!

She laughs.
She laughs at me


Take notice that When the verb /laughs/ is not added by /at me/. the sentence /she laughs/ has a full meaning. On the other hand, without /at me/, the first sentence can stand. That's the characteristic of Intransitive verbs.

There are two possibilities of the use of Intransitive verb in English sentence:

1. By adding a complement (Preposition + objective pronoun/noun/noun phrase)
2. By adding an adverb (e.g. adverb of time/place/manner, etc)


For examples:

He likes dancing with me

(The verb /dance/ or /dancing/ is intransitive verb. Take notice that /with/ is the preposition which is combined to objective pronoun /me/). However, the existance of /dancing with me/ in the pattern is an object (laughing ....)).

I live in Jakarta. (the verb /live/ is added by preposition /in/ and noun or A name of the place in indonesia /jakarta/. Remember that, when preposition is combined to name of a place, it becomes an adverb of place). Click here to read about Adverb of Place.

we can also say like this, compare:

I live in Jakarta
I live with my uncle, Joe.

REGULAR AND IRREGULAR VERBS

Understanding regular and (or) irregular verb is a Must. Without learning about it. it's impossible to learn about passive voice.
To read more about it, please click here.

PRONOUN


In this case, you should concentrate yourself to the objective pronouns as well as nouns.
Click here to read more about Pronoun.




For examples:


They found their own mistakes.
(/Their own mistakes/ is noun or phrase)
I met him yesterday. (/me/ is an objective pronoun)

Read more